29 September 2007

THIS ONE'S FOR DUSTY RHODES........more childhood mems.........



This story bookends nicely with my IMMA CAPTAIN AMERICA story.....a complimentary illustration about the nature of guilt and debt contained within friendships if you will..........although not quite as poignent(sp?)......

When i was in middle school, i had a friend that i hung out with most of the time......he was a really nice guy........he met me at my door each morning and we walked to the bus stop together........

One fall afternoon, we were rough-housing in the front yard.......trying wrestling moves on each other.........we fell together with his weight and mine coming down on my right forearm.........i heard the snap..........the funny thing is........i didn't feel any pain......but i was going into shock almost immediately.......i knew it was broken........my radius had snapped in two places.........and there was a depression below my wrist that shouldn't have been there..........i went into the house to break the bad news to mom............all the while, my friend apologized over and over..........he felt responsible.........

My mom drove me to Doctor's Hospital to be patched up.........i'll never forget the length of the needle they used to numb my arm to be set..........and i'll never forget that they had to inject the medicine into my armpit to achieve the proper nerve block............but my how the warm plaster felt good when they applied the cast.........

My friend allayed his guilt by buying me extra chocolate milks for the entire school year.........he was a cool cat...........



Rock it like you're not afraid to break it..........because that just wouldn't be living..........

Stak

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

in those golden mustang days

Anonymous said...

Qarm plaster memories for sure! Thanks for sharing. I was beginning to think this repository was deserted. Keep the gold coming!

STAK said...

and i'm talkin in the fan.......Orange Crushes in my hand.........