11 November 2007

ASHES TO ASHES...........somma dat poetry train carras..........


My girl is entirely unrepentant
"Gimme a light" she says
As she fires up her second filterless
Camel in the past 10 minutes....
Upon the little short table
People insist on associating
With coffee
Lies the overflowing ashtray
Atop a People magazine
With this years' next top model
Cover bare.......
The ashes spill over the edges of the butt-tray
A pile of vile,poisonous shit for a head
With a magnificent pair of tits
I sigh

I notice as she smokes
That the smoke is a beautiful blue
Coming off the end of the cigarette
AZURE
As she exhales
It's a musty brown
As if the lungs of the smoker
Have corrupted the smoke
Despite your pre-conceived notions............
I really don't give a good Gatdamned
What you think of me
And my chain-smoking Molly.......
Nyahhh!!!!!!

Stak

7 comments:

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Cool one, Stak!

Joy Renee said...

her lungs corrupted the smoke! what a great turnabout of expectations.

AZURE seems to allude to the title word: ashes. I'm wondering if you did that on purpose. but then why else would you cap all the letters if not to call attention to that?

nice imagery and attitude.

Jill said...

I like the first half...
For the second half, it is that I don't associated smoke and azur...

Lisa Andel said...

Dust to dust.
Killing yourself even faster in a filterless fashion.

STAK said...

not my best..........alot of these poetry train things are how i remember lost hardcopies of stuff i wrote when i was trying hard to get published.......so rewrite of concepts.......and i throw em together pretty quick.......as in off the cuff.........

Rhi, perhaps we could hang out the saturday after thanksgiving.......i was thinking about going to see Tim's new movie at Le Chat Noir..........a friend of mine has the lead part.......

Rhian said...

i'm totally up for that! haven't received an email from Chat N lately so i'm not sure what its about but i've been wanting to see a production there. Let me know if its a fer sure and i'll meet up with y'all there.

Julia Phillips Smith said...

I love your opening lines:
'My girl is entirely unrepentant
"Gimme a light" she says'
It sets the tone for the piece, where the narrator doesn't judge the smoker. I love the whole mood of the poem, seeing the act of smoking as an extension of attraction to the smoker:
'I notice as she smokes
That the smoke is a beautiful blue'